With the yarn and color of your choice, loom 25 squares using the small Butterfly Loom. Loom each square to your desired thickness, remember that this Bag is quite thick and sturdy because it is lined and has wadding inserted in the lining.
Around each square 1sc into group of loops, 5 chain, 1sc into next group of loops until you come to the corner and 1sc 3chain 1sc into each corner set of loops. Do this around each of the 25 squares. Then with 2 squares facing each other (right sides together) 1sc into corner, 4 sc over chain, 1 sc into sc. Join all 25 squares together to form a square.
Using MC make 15 ch.
1st Row: skip 1 ch, 1sc into each ch to end ...14sc.
2nd Row: 1ch, 1sc into each dc to end.
Rep last row until work measures 11inches.
Make 2 pieces.
Strap/Handle for Bag
Work as given for top edging until work measures 60inches from beginning. Fasten off.
Using MC make 4 ch (leaving an end 8 inches long at beg for sewing up), sl st in first dc at beginning to form a ring.
1st Round: 1ch, 8sc in ring, sl st in first sc at beg.
2nd Round: 1ch, 1sc in same place as sl st, 1 sc in each of next 7dc, sl st in first sl at beg.
Rep 2nd round twice.
Fasten off, leaving an end 10inches long. Turn button inside out. Fill button with 10inches long end and then using 8 inch end, close opening. DO NOT BREAK OFF YARN, leaving end until required for attaching button.
Using MC make 36ch.
Miss 1 ch, 1sc in each ch to end, fasten off.
To Make Up
1. Join 5 squares across and 5 squares down to form one large square.
2. Cut two pieces of lining and one piece of wadding the same size as the square.
3. Place wadding between 2 pieces of lining, and overlock around edges, sandwiching the wadding in between lining, then place Pumpkin Bag over lining with wrong side of Bag to lining. Join edges together.
4. Pleat or gather front edges and back edges to 12 inches.
5. Roll a piece of wadding 12 inches long, place this wadding into centre of Top Edging and sew Top Edging to pleated or gathered sides of Bag, joining through all thicknesses.
6. Gather or pleat remaining sides of Bag to 12 inches and mark centre. Sew edges of Strap together, noting not to twist strap. Fold strap in half to find the centre and mark. Mark 6 inches both side of centre.
7. Pin centre of strap to centre of Bag and side edges of Bag to marked positions on strap.
8. Join as given for Top Edging, noting to carry rolled wadding into strap pieces.
9. Sew button to one side and button loop to corresponding side of bag as illustrated.
Copyright© Carolyn Jenner 2002. All right reserved.